The released files by Wikileaks shows us the planned De Klerk speech that changed South Africa and paved the way for Nelson Mandela to be released from prison.
The title of the part of the document reads:
Mandela release will be announced February 2 in Parliament.
The planned speech was outlined as following:
“Mandela made it quite clear that he full expects ..(break in text).. President FW De Klerk to make several major announcements in his February 2 speech at the opening of parliament.
De Klerk will announce:
– THE UNBANNING OF THE ANC, PAC AND OTHER POLITICAL
– THE END OF THE STATE OF EMERGENCY;
– THE RETURN OF POLITICAL EXILES TO SOUTH AFRICA;
– THE RELEASE OF A NUMBER OF POLITICAL PRISONERS,
- INCLUDING NELSON MANDELA.”